Featured Home Of The Month – May 2018 123 E 2nd Ave #401 downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Canyon Road Towers. In addition to the number of bedrooms, this corner 3 bedroom condo has the two most important features when it comes to price and popularity; great condition and view. Location helps the value but when comparing units within a building, especially an older building, these two things can make a huge difference in value.
Canyon Road Towers was built in 1976 as was Zion Summit. Many, should I say most, are in original or near original condition. I have seen people have to spend over $100,000 to upgrade one of these condominiums. Many have spent less but $50,000 to $80,000 is typical.
This featured home of the month for May has been nicely updated. The fireplace is rally quite unusual and quite nice. It is in great condition.
The view is surprising for being on the 4th floor. It is a corner unit, facing West and North. The view is the setting to the West. Some may say the higher the better. In this case you can be sitting on a couch with a beautiful setting to see the park and Temple Square. I refer the West view on both 4th and 5th floor units as the setting. I actually prefer these views to those on the higher floors, even the 13th floor. Yes, they are higher up but the higher ups miss the setting.
To the North the view is to the Capitol. A home is in this view but at night the Capitol building lights up and is just great.
The parking stall for this unit is indoors and one flight of stairs down. (3rd floor parking level). It’s real close to the door you exit this floor, easy and convenient. The storage unit is just a few steps from your parking stall.
Aha, you can walk through the condo on line. Here is a link to a 360 Matterport tour click here.
This tour will save you time, if you like it on line you will love the visit. If you don’t like it online, you won’t waste time with an unnecessary visit.
It is rented until the end of July for $1850.00 per month. The tenants are very cooperative. I do need an appointment to show it.
Technology advances can be wonderful. That comment especially applies to those of us who sell real estate. It used to be that my favorite invention of all time was GPS. For me it has saved me hours of extra time. Not wanting to look stupid or inconvenience my buyers I used to travel to all of the locations we would be visiting the day before, just to make sure I knew the route. GPS made navigating a breeze. (Of course the GPS on my iPhone is a step up as it even talks the directions to me as I go.) Now I discover matterport camera. Matterport, What A Great Service
Well, the matterport camera may have just taken over as my favorite. Here is the dollhouse view of Canyon Road Towers 401 and the dollhouse view it creates. Even this is amazing. From dollhouse you click on a room and you are taken there. You can move throughout the come as if you were right there.
The photo below shows a room view. You can travel throughout the home, see it all, by clicking your way through the home. It functions similar to Google Streets.
It also creates a to scale floor plan of the home. Don’t ask me how it does it, it seems impossible, but below is one of my listings plans that was created by matterport. How handy this is illustrated by a text I received this morning from the new buyer of Zion Summit 1004 who requested a floor plan to scale. Hot dog, where I often have to decline as they aren’t always available, he got this. I am still flabbergasted that this was created by a camera.
Here are some links to some of our most recent Mattterports
- 2412 Mile High Drive listed by Scott Rabin
- 3419 E Gun Club Road co-listed by Tim Jones
- 11323 Portobello Rd listed by Jonah Horsby
- 940 Donner Way listed by Lisa Jungemann
- 13439 South 1400 East in Draper also listed by Lisa Jungemann
- 5023 West Dock Street listed by Adam Frenza
- https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=2dmK4ihDwf9&mls=1 One of my listings
- https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=U22fEDmpe2j&mls=1 One of my listings
My guess, is that you will insist on this service whenever you put your home on the market. It is now another of the standard marketing tools I provide my sellers. It comes at a cost to me, but it is so worth it.
Here are two examples of the benefits because people can virtually walk through the home online. They see everything, ceiling to floor, wall to wall.
- More people can see it. I have sent the link out to 100’s of my contacts. I am getting feedback that they love it. Two have been forwarded to people out of the country. One is telling me they approve an offer being made and they haven’t even seen it.
- The second is a convenience factor. One negative thing is having people walk through your home day after day and hour after hour. Even when agents are instructed to give the seller a certain amount of notice it is not unusual to have someone knock on your door with, “I am sorry but my client wants to see it now?” Can we please do a last minute showing? Please, pretty please? What are you to say, you want to sell the darn thing. So many are just looky lou’s. Now they see it virtually on line before asking to see your home. The net result is that those that disturb you are pre qualified as to their interest.
Another Windermere marketing benefit is its international reach. We are a member of one of the premier international marketing sharing groups who have a world wide reach of buyers. This is accompanied by our Living Magazine which is targeted to local and out of our market qualified buyers.
I am committed to my clients and welcome the opportunity to assist you.
Larry Cragun – Windermere Real Estate
Condominium and Residential Specialist
Featured Property: Featured Property of The Month of April. This is a new category for me here in Utah where I pick out one property that is either unique or of a great value, even one that stands out to myself or my wife Kathleen. It was popular when I was licensed in Washington State and writing about Issaquah. Those featured won’t always be my own listings as is this April featured property.
A RARE OPPORTUNITY
Introducing you to 241 North Vine Street #1004, as in the 10th floor with a North view of Zion Summit. I have other listings but this one is so unlike any that come up for sale that I want to focus on it.
What makes it rare?
- It is a 3 bedroom 3 bath unit. One of the bedrooms has been more of an office. You could actually have his or hers offices here, or make one of them a studio. Three bedroom units of this size are rarely on the market. Three bedrooms of any size are uncommon.
- It has 3 parking stalls. Most downtown condos have 1 stall, a few have two but not many.
- It has 2 storage units. Most downtown condos have 1 storage unit.
- The second storage unit is actually a large 14 x 17 room, with electrical outlets. It could be a shop or be used in any number of ways.
- It’s large, 2150 square feet.
- Check the price per square foot vs others on the market to see the value.
- The master bedrooms are on the opposite sides of the condo. Note the floor plan attached.
- It has an open view to the North, with the Capitol.
Zion Summit is unique with extra large social room, a TV room, and a nice gathering room. It is secure and the parking is in the building (underground) and most stalls are quite spacious. The location is perfect for those wanting to be close to City Creek, Temple Square, Trax, and downtown action. It has an outdoor pool, has full time on site management and maintenance staff, and has secure access. Zion Summit is a twin tower, 13 stories high, set above the LDS Conference Center.
I think the buyer will want the touch of an interior designer unless the buyer is flush with books, as are the current owners. The home is a second, actually now a third home, and the sellers are disposing of this one.
Again, you can actually do a virtual walk through by clicking this link: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=U22fEDmpe2j:
The doll house view gives this view. You can walk through each room, down the halls, and out the deck, all on line. From the doll house view you can jump to a particular room instead of virtually walking around the condo. This view can be selected and moved around.
Here is a shot we took off of the deck. This was built as one of the 12 double sized units, so it has two north facing decks. Out on the decks the views are actually panoramic.
Photos of the shop/storage room:
There are 62 photos (including 2 of the parking stalls) in the MLS #1486115 or click here.
The floor plan view: The masters are on each side of the condo. Great for sharing.